You're nicked has a splendid post on the abuse of the 999 service here. The taped calls are all too familiar to me, having spent 6 years in our Control Room, and I can speak from experience when I say there was many a time I wondered (and worried) about the gene pool! The call regarding the hedgehog is a classic!
Can I ask that if you want to call the Police this festive season, think first and then decide;
- Is it an emergency? Is someone's health, life or property at immediate risk?
- Is it worth calling the Police about at this time of year? e.g if you've had a bauble nicked off your fir tree in the garden overnight, what do you expect the Polis to do? (Yes we did get that one recently).
- What can you do YOURSELF to remedy the situation?
- Is it the Police that you need to solve your problem?
- If you go to bed and sleep off the drink will that stop the problem?